The Avenue’s Really Useful Course specialises in teaching Gap Year and University students a unique mix of cooking and useful everyday skills.
By the end of 5 intensive days (9.30am-5pm) everyone has progressed from a tentative white sauce maker on Monday to a confident souffle chef on Friday. Emphasis is on healthy, affordable eating with plenty of tips on vegetables and fruit. The course provides a wonderful start to an independent life.
Our cookery course has been designed to guide the inexperienced through a week of well planned, traditional recipes. Each day covers new techniques and recipes. We are a “hands on” course offering plenty of help and support, but at the same time explaining that there is no better route to success than practice.
“Thank you so much for such a fantastically useful week. My brother and I think of ourselves as pro cooks. You made it so much fun and we think of cooking as an enjoyable activity rather than a chore. Sadly our parents have had us locked in the kitchen to cook almost every meal since! We met such great people and hope our music will stay on The Avenue playlist. Hope to come back one day for the Advanced Course.”
WHAT WE OFFER
- Huge fun together with warm professional teaching.
- Hands on cooking with a maximum of 14 students working in pairs in a light modern purpose built kitchen.
- Now famous dinner party for students and their friends on Thursday evening. This popular dinner is organised, cooked and hosted by the students. Fantastic introduction to cooking for numbers.
- Well respected ‘really useful skills’.
- Excellent healthy cooking for life.
- Gap year survival skills and travel tips including practical First Aid.
- Basic car maintenance, including changing a wheel and jump starting an engine. Understanding insurance.
- Wine lecture followed by wine tasting.
- All manner of useful stuff! Sewing on a button, changing a plug and ironing.
- And anything that anyone wants to know, the list grows!
THE STARTER KIT
Hessian bag containing:
- An Avenue Cookery School mug
- An Avenue Cookery School tea towel
- Chopping board
- Chef’s knife
- Electric whisk
- Double set of whisks
- Large roasting tray
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Potato peeler
- Rolling pin
- Washing up brush/Jeye cloth
All for £65!
17 – 21 June *
24 – 28 June
1 – 5 July
8 – 12 July
15 – 19 July FULL
22 – 26 July* FULL
26 – 30 August
2 – 6 September
9 – 13 September
16 – 20 September* FULL
* Can be followed by the Advanced Cookery Course.
Even if the course is full, do contact us as the situation can change and we keep a “waiting list”.
“I just wanted to thank you so much for a great week. Ed had a fantastic time, learnt new skills, made new friends and will now be able to cater confidently for himself and others when he heads off to university this autumn! You obviously have a winning formula, the course was very well organised and I would definitely recommend it to friends.”