Our Intermediate Course is an intensive structured 5-day course for those looking to further their cookery knowledge. We offer a relaxed yet informative style of teaching aiming to keep things fun and social with the rest of the group.
On the first day of the Intermediate Cookery Course we will have offer a recap on knife skills and other important tips that help your time in the kitchen. Throughout the week, twice daily you will have a demonstration covering what you will be cooking in the morning and then the afternoon. You will get lots of hands-on experience in making the demonstrated recipes, with the assistance of our experienced chefs. You will create a variety of sweet and savoury, new and exciting recipes that will increase your cooking ability and take your kitchen confidence to the next level (see menu from page 14 here)! It’s time to ramp it up a notch…
At The Avenue we teach our students to have great confidence and understanding in food, enabling you to use your cookbooks purely as inspiration, rather than rule. We are very flexible in our teaching so any gaps in knowledge can easily be filled and we are here to answer all your questions so you can leave us with a newfound kitchen confidence!
All students who attend the Intermediate Cookery Course are required to have a good basic ground knowledge either from The Avenue’s Really Useful Course or from experience gained elsewhere. To ensure you are at the right level, we would require that you are confident with making the elements of the dishes in our Really Useful Course (see here), without a recipe book. See menu here but if in doubt get in touch.
Whether a day or the full week you will leave feeling surprised at how much you have learnt!
For those wanting to complete this week to obtain a job working as a host, whether in a chalet, yacht, villa, shooting lodge or as a nanny you will cover hosting skills, menu planning and how to clean properly and change beds. This will be covered one early evening after the days cooking. You will also receive an Avenue Host Bible and the means to complete your Food Safety Level 2.
We will help you to land your dream job for your season with one of our many Ski Company affiliates.
Worried about missing jobs due to attending our course later in the Summer? – If you book early in the year for a class in October say, you won’t be jeopardising your chances of getting a job! In fact, you could be attending interviews before you even come to The Avenue. Companies will still accept your application and can place you in a role on condition that you complete The Avenue Host Course.
Last minute booking – worried of job availability? If you happen to book with us late in the summer or into the autumn, don’t panic! Companies can be recruiting right up until the start of the season and there is always a job somewhere. You will need to work hard and be proactive, but we will try our utmost to help you find that job!
N.B. To work for the big ski companies you will require an English NI number however there are other ski companies out there that you can apply to.
What We Offer
- Deposit option – if booking more than 1 month in advance get in touch for more details
- A fun, sociable, flexible and informative 5-day course
- Intensive daily cooking programme
- All equipment and food provided
- Interesting demonstrations
- Fun, warm and professional teaching
- Useful tips and tricks of the trade
- Tips on organisation and prepping your dishes ahead of time
- Hands-on cooking
- Mind-blowingly delicious recipes
- Delicious lunches
- Well-structured course
- Ingredients, aprons and equipment provided
- The Avenue Cookbook
- The Avenue apron
- Intermediate Cookery Course Avenue certificate
- The Avenue Host Bible (Chalet/Yacht Hosts only)
- Food Safety Level 2 Certificate (Chalet/Yacht Hosts only)
- CV check (Chalet/Yacht Hosts only)
- Help in finding a job in the Alps (Chalet Hosts only)
- Accommodation as an extra for those that need (see details below)
- Advanced knife skills
- Variations of baking
- Boning meat and handling fish
- Preparing and cooking a variety of vegetables
- Learning to cook international foods and different techniques
- Canapé making
- Rectifying dishes
- Catering for dietary requirements
- Variety of intermediate cooking skills and techniques
- Food presentation
- Knowledge of new intermediate recipes
- Avoiding waste and cooking with leftovers
- Time management
- Having fun while cooking!
- Anything extra that anyone wants to know, the list grows!
Mondays – Thursday 9am – 5pm (lunch included)
Fridays 9am – 4pm (breakfast and lunch included)
N.B. – One agreed evening will cover hosting skills for those doing (Hosts)
Catered for Allergies: Vegetarian, LF and GF dietary requirements can be catered for on request, but time restraints mean meal alternatives will not be covered in the demonstrations
Accommodation: For students who book accommodation, you will be staying at a family run B&B that we have worked closely with for years.
Rooms will be separate male or female shared rooms. A guaranteed private room can be arranged at an extra cost, just contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
For those who live further afield there is an option of 5 nights’ accommodation, enabling you to arrive on the Sunday evening but if you need longer let us know.
Breakfast & dinner will be provided every morning and evening from Monday. If you are staying Sunday night you will need to eat before you arrive.
‘Avenue Amigos’ – Get a ‘stamp’ for each class you book, each review you leave and for each friend you recommend. 10 stamps = a free class!
Terms & Conditions Apply
Please contact us on email@example.com with any queries