Our Duke of Edinburgh Residential Course is the perfect way to complete your DofE Gold Residential while learning an important independent life skill. As a Duke of Edinburgh AAP (Approved Activity Provider) we have been running these courses since 2004, so you can be rest assured that you will be in safe and knowledgeable (although often flour covered) hands!
Can’t boil an egg? No problem! Already cook a bit at home? Well come and learn from the professionals and scrap those bad habits and learn the fundamentals of cooking. Pick up tips and tricks of the trade that will make you the master of any kitchen.
We put emphasis on teaching our students about food, rather than merely following a recipe. We put the fun and imagination back into cooking! We don’t believe in cookbook dependency, so by the end of the course we’ll make sure each student is full to the brim with spot-on culinary knowledge without a recipe in sight.
An importance on affordable home cooking is taught, including how to avoid food waste and therefore money. These transferable skills for life will benefit all students whether they’re still living at home, at university or living independently.
Each day will start with a demonstration of what is being cooked that morning. Then the students will go to their islands and cook a 2-course lunch. After lunch there will be another demonstration of what will be cooked in the afternoon and then an afternoon of cooking will commence! Each day is hands-on and will teach new skills and recipes as well as continuing to practice those learnt the day before – after all practice makes perfect!
On the Thursday* we have a wine tasting and origins of alcohol talk, followed by our famous dinner party where students become the hosts and have the option to invite a couple of family and friends to show off their impressive new skills around our gorgeous dining table!
On the other evenings, activities will be chosen by the students and can be anything from tennis, board games or even staying in for popcorn and a movie night.
By the end of this fun and food fuelled course you will be full to the brim with cookery knowledge, lots of food and great memories with new life-long friends – both students and The Avenue family! What’s stopping you…? Let’s get cooking!
*Not currently running due to covid.
Having completed this course, you can follow it with our equally as popular Intermediate Cookery Course (see here) or perhaps you are looking to combine it with a Chalet or Yacht Host Course, no problem just get in touch!
What We Offer
- Deposit option – if booking more than 1 month in advance get in touch for more details
- A fun, sociable, flexible and informative 5-day course
- Approved Activity Provider of DofE Gold Residential Award
- Intensive daily cooking programme
- All equipment and food provided
- Interesting demonstrations
- Cooking without a cookbook
- Fun, warm and professional teaching
- Useful tips and tricks of the trade
- Tips on organisation and prepping your dishes ahead of time
- Hands-on cooking
- Budgeting and cooking with leftovers
- Mind-blowingly delicious recipes
- Delicious lunches
- Wine tasting and origins of alcohol talk
- Well-structured course
- Ingredients, aprons and equipment provided
- The Avenue Cookbook
- The Avenue apron
- Accommodation (see details below)
- Duke of Edinburgh Residential Course Avenue certificate
- Knife skills
- Variations of baking
- Preparing and cooking a variety of vegetables
- An understanding of ingredients and cooking them
- Rectifying dishes
- Adapting recipes
- Variety of transferable cooking skills and techniques
- Cooking with confidence and without a recipe book
- Food presentation
- Knowledge of transferable skills and recipes
- Avoiding waste and cooking with leftovers
- Time management
- Kitchen hygiene
- Kitchen organisation
- Quick cooking
- Having fun while cooking!
- Anything extra that anyone wants to know, the list grows!
Monday – Wednesday 9am – 5pm (lunch included)
Thursday 9am – 9pm (lunch and dinner included) – Sadly due to COVID-19 we are unable to host the Thursday party until further notice and instead we will finish at 5pm.
Friday 9am – 4pm (breakfast and lunch included)
Catered for Allergies: Vegetarian, LF and GF dietary requirements can be catered for on request, but time restraints mean meal alternatives will not be covered in the demonstrations
Accommodation: You will be staying at a family run B&B that we have worked closely with for years.
Rooms will be separate male or female shared rooms. A guaranteed private room can be arranged at an extra cost, just contact us on email@example.com for details.
For those who live further afield there is an option of 5 nights’ accommodation, enabling you to arrive on the Sunday evening but if you need longer let us know.
Breakfast & dinner will be provided every morning and evening from Monday. If you are staying Sunday night you will need to eat before you arrive.
‘Avenue Amigos’ – Get a ‘stamp’ for each class you book, each review you leave and for each friend you recommend. 10 stamps = a free class!
Terms & Conditions Apply
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries